Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Still Confused

To radiate or not to radiate? Who knows?

My radiologists can't tell me one way or the other. My NS can't tell me one way or the other. My parents can't tell me one way or the other.

So I've decided to contact two people.
1. the "best" neurosurgeon in the country for myxopapillary ependymomas
and
2. a radiologist at the U.S.'s busiest cancer center

I've heard back from #2. Generally, he would suggest radiation to someone in my place. But there's one problem-- my age. I'm 19, and radiation could strip years off my life. Who knows when the radiation could catch up with me and kill me? I could die in 10 years.

He said that I should expect radiation at some point in my life.... whether or not I choose to do it now.

I need to develop a plan of action for both scenarios... radiation now or radiation later.
I'm waiting for the Johns Hopkins neurosurgeon to respond. I'm also going to southern California to talk with doctors at Loma Linda about proton radiotherapy. I'm also meeting with a Stanford radiologist on my birthday. I know that Stanford is one of the only facilities in the Bay Area that uses a cyberknife (it's a form of radiation... a non-surgical alternative to tumor control). I wonder if I could be a cyberknife candidate when the tumor grows back?

I wonder WHEN the tumor will grow back?

No comments: